Manitowoc County EMS Association Meeting Minutes 9/26/2018
Host: St. Nazianz First Responders
The September 26, 2018 meeting of the Manitowoc County EMS Association was called to order at 1900. The educational presentation was Officer Chris Hemauer and his Canine partner Leon who spoke on drug abuse & recognition and his canine. They also spoke on the K9 program and how EMS can work with them. 1900-2030.
Roll call was taken. A quorum was present.
The secretary’s report was presented and a motion to accept it as printed was made by Two Creeks and seconded by Kiel. Motion carried.
The treasurer’s report was given and ending balances were given as follows:
The 2018 statements pending yet are Francis Creek and Reedsville. A motion to accept the treasurer’s report was made by Kiel and seconded by Valders. Motion carried.
1. Contact numbers: Passed for updates and has been updated on line.
2. Committee reports:
a. Radio: Severe storms and weather radios can make the radios go down. Emergency government is working with the department of public works for solutions.
b. Medical Directors: Legislative update includes the plan for 3-year license renewals going forward but with no plan on how yet.
c. Protocols: The state protocols are not out yet.
d. Finance: Nothing currently.
e. Disaster: Mishicot is hosting 2018 disaster drill active shooter. The date is 10/25/18 in the afternoon. The Manitowoc County Disaster trailer has found a home in Two Rivers and they will deploy it as needed. Thanks, extended to them for this. Also, the trailer will deploy on the first box alarm for life safety cards. Bill Manis is coordinating a trailer update via the RTAC and HERC. Inventory was done. The trailer is looking much better.
f. Education and training: Reminded of resources as needed for agencies. Dr. Martens is again inviting Manitowoc County to her scheduled Sheboygan county educational offerings at the Roadside Bar & Grill in the back room. Silver Creek is having a refresher in February. A new EMR class is going on in November.
g. LTC: Fall class programs passed out. LTC announces that there is a bridge class from EMR to EMT which they are working on offering
h. Dispatch: Travis Waack is the new director. Staffing is going well and almost 100%.
i. Website: Mark Knier will continue to be our webmaster.
j. JDC Steering Committee: Discussion on the SEND protocol and who can legally use this. Discussion will continue this. More discussion on radio etiquette. Providers are reminded to be polite, patient, and wait for an answer. The communication is taped, and they can catch times off that. Reminder to call in emergencies on the phone not the radio.
k. MABAS: EMS should have life safety cards. The October drill will use life safety cards. Remember the words to use after a dispatch are ENROUTE, PASS, ON SCENE. Sunday drills will start again also. Try to use I-fern. Kiel is having a MABAS drill in November with a 3-county response.
l. EMS Day 2018: No decision made for 2019. Discussion on other venues like a booth at County Fair. Group to decide in November.
m. RTAC: Theresa gave some updates including many legislative updates including 911 dispatch CPR, Bill 97, Stop the bleed, and license renewals for 3 years. There is a falls program being revised again. There has been no formal decision made on SALT and START.
n. HERC: The Citizen Aid flyers and Champak packets were passed out for all. All information is being emailed. People are encouraged to take the Citizen Aid to their schools or churches.
1. Next meeting: November 28 at Two Creeks at 1900.
2. Nomination for secretary: Deb Holschbach accepted a nomination for secretary, but the nominations will remain open for some other person to jump into the race!
3. Ambulance reports: Reminder that the state requires a ½ sheet or some type of report to be left at the receiving hospital for every patient. HSS 110.34.
4. DNR: Some agencies in other counties are having issues with DNR patients. Reminder that the law is a bracelet on the patient. You may of course, always call medical direction for help.
5. Dues: Discussion on options to do with our association dues. We discussed ways to try to entice people into EMS. There was a lot of discussion including cash incentives to take classes, but we did not reach any decisions. There were many questions on how to peruse such a process. Theresa will coordinate a small committee to talk about this further and report back their thoughts. Valders and Kiel may help.
A motion to adjourn was made by Kiel and seconded by Branch. Motion carried.
Attendance: Branch, Collins, St. Nazianz, Reedsville, Newton, Mishicot, Two Rivers, Valders, Kiel, Two Creeks, Silver Creek, JDC, Emergency Government
Submitted: D. Holschbach, secretary